*****Jen is not taking any additional birth clients at this time.*****
Birth work is very near and dear to Jen's heart. Having borne two daughters and a lost pregnancy of her own, Jen's calling to assist as a doula in Bloomingdale, Michigan, is deeply rooted in tried-and-true experience, gentle passion, and an undiluted joy for the birthing process.
What is a doula?
A doula as an extra set of hands....hands that provide stability, strength, and support for pregnant, birthing, and postpartum parents. Doulas are trained caretakers, sounding boards, and birth subject-matter-experts. Our job is to educate, assist, and inspire empowerment for the very best birth experience possible. We draw upon knowledge of human anatomy, comfort measures, the power of birth, the power of partners during the birth process, and a team-centered, collaborative attitude with you, your physicians, nurses, and midwives, to ensure you are comfortable, confident, and supported through every step of your birth process.
What can a doula help with?
Doulas are wonderful supporters and teachers. We assist in many capacities, including:
- Birth plan development and documentation
- Prenatal education (delivery options, breastfeeding support, postpartum assistance)
- Comfort techniques and delivery position methods
- Counterpressure and massage before, during, and after labor
- Dedicated, individualized emotional support
- Effective communication tool/go-between with clinical team, support team, and family members
- Breastfeeding, sibling, and new parent support
Jen is a certified holistic doula, a certified placenta preparation specialist, an herbalism student with The Art of Science and Herbalism under Rosemary Gladstar, and a certified Hypnobabies Hypno-Doula. Her education also includes US Army combat medic training, emergency medicine technician training and certification, clinical rotations at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio, Texas, a bachelor’s degree in healthcare administration, and over 15 years experience working in healthcare.
She's given birth to two of her own babies in a hospital setting long before she knew about doulas, the power of the human body, and the importance of informed consent. Her first daughter arrived almost two weeks early and clocked in at 9lbs, 4oz while her second daughter weighed 10lbs, 11oz, born almost two weeks late. Both experiences left Jen seeking more from our medical system.
Jen shares an amazing circle of birth work sisters, without whom she wouldn't know half as much as she does today. The Dancing Feathers Farm approach is always to match parents with a doula who best suits their needs; if that doula isn't Jen, she will do whatever it takes to find a better fit, including connecting parents with other local doulas. Support is always available!
**Update** Jen is offering free COVID-19 phone consults for birthing parents due in 2021. Discussion topics can include navigating hospital policies, exploring local resources, birth plan adjustments, latest data, and any questions or concerns expecting parents have about COVID-19 and its impact on birth and families. Please contact us via our contact page or email Jen directly at email@example.com to set up a free phone consult.
Floret - $200 – Includes:
- 1 30-minute prenatal session via phone
- Handouts containing Jen's research and recommendations for breathing techniques, pain relief techniques, the stages of birth, common birth interventions, breastfeeding tips and tricks, labor positions, birthing with gravity, postpartum meal planning, and a packing/supply list for the big day
- Birth support resource guide for Chicagoland area
Daisy - $400 – Includes:
- Everything included in the Floret package PLUS
- An additional 30-minutes during prenatal session via phone or in person within 20 miles of Crystal Lake, Illinois
- Development and documentation of birth plan
- Dancing Feathers Farm’s New Baby Bag Sampler
Zinnia - $700 – Includes:
- Everything included in Floret and Daisy packages PLUS
- 1 60-minute delivery positioning demo and education session in person within 20 miles of Crystal Lake, Illinois
- 1 60-minute postnatal visit in your home
- 24/7 email support starting at 38 weeks
Dahlia - $1,200 – Includes:
- Everything included in Floret, Daisy, and Zinnia packages PLUS
- 24/7 phone and text access to Jen starting at 38 weeks
- Backup doula security
- Individual, customized care, planning, and support
- In-person delivery and labor support
- Snacks, blanket, massage, and positioning tool provisions during delivery
- Immediate post-birth assistance with skin-to-skin time and/or breastfeeding. Check in by phone the next day.
- Dancing Feathers Farm New Baby Bag
- Doula clients receive 10% off anything in the Dancing Feathers Farm online shop including sale items. Code is available for up to one year following birth and can be used an unlimited amount of times within that one year. Cannot be transferred. (Free)
- Customized information as needed, based on Client’s circumstance, including assistance in exploring home birthing options, vaginal delivery after caesarian, Hypnobabies, water birth, etc. (Free)
- Information on postpartum nutrition and recipes (Additional Charge)
- Accompaniment to prenatal medical appointments (Additional Charge)
- Candid labor/birth photos (Free)
- Placenta encapsulation (Additional Charge) or entry into the Dancing Feathers Farm placenta garden (Free)
- A written birth story/birth record (Additional Charge)
Specific payment terms apply. Deposit required at time of contract signing. Payment plans available with no interest. Reduced-rate doula care packages are available for single, POC, and LGBTQ parents. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.